Oh SH!T - The Kit!
As someone who organises events for a living - I can honestly say your can NEVER underestimate the importance of a good "Emergency Kit" - or as I like to call it - my "Oh Shit Kit". There's a neverending amount of things that can go wrong with ANY event - especially a wedding. You can't REALLY plan for every eventuality but you CAN at least try!
So we've put together our ultimate "Oh Sh!t Kit" shopping list for you. Now I KNOW this seems extensive - but having been a Bride/Bridesmaid/Maid of Honour on SEVERAL occasions now - each and every item in this list has come from past experience and chances are - you already have MOST of these items around your house already.
Are you ready? Okay....here we go!
- Make-up Touch Up Kit - if you're having your make-up done by a professional make-up artist they're ususally more than happy to provide this. If you're using your own - just pop the essentials like concealer, lippy etc in.
- Eyelash Glue (if you're wearing fake eyelashes) - and it doesn't do any harm to pop a spare kit in JUST IN CASE one falls off and you can't retrieve it.
- Contact Lenses - if you're a wearer - bring spares. I once LOST a lens as a guest at a wedding - that was a disaster for me - can you imagine if it was YOUR day!
- Hair Ties & Bobby Pins
- Straws (sounds silly - but you don't want to trash your lippy everytime you want a sip of water do you?)
- Bottled Water
- Eyedrops - it's a LONG day and eyes can start to look a bit tired (or it may have been a late night and early morning) - having these on hand can keep your eyes bright and feeling fresh!
- Cotton Buds
- Baby Wipes
- Deodorant (roll on works best - less chance of leaving white marks all over the place)
- Toothpicks (who wants to have their picture taken with salad greens between their teeth)
- Breathmints (you're going to be doing a whole lot of kissing - gotta have fresh breath)
- Band Aids
- Nail Polish (chipped nail in a ring shot......preferably not)
- Nail Clippers/Nail File (If it breaks - take it off and touch it up.)
- Bug Spray
- Rescue Rememdy
- Pain Killers
- Immodium (who wants THAT to happen on their big day!)
- Sanitary Towels/Tampons
- Hand Sanitiser
- Spare Earing Backs
- Spare Stockings (if anyone is wearing them)
- Flat Shoes
- Handheld fan - can rescue you in the back of a hot car in a big dress!
- Phone Number List (bridal party, important vendors etc) and Cell phone and charger. Ideally you won't need this - but it's good to have it JUST IN CASE!
Some of the following items might seem a LITTLE odd - but they're good to have on hand....
- Flat Shoes
- Clean Undies (it's a loooong day - and somtimes you just want to feel....well - fresh!)
- Sewing Kit - preferably pre threaded needles in all necessary colours (ie ivory/white/blush for bride, what ever colour the bridesmaids are wearing etc)
- Scotch Tape - there's very few things in life that can't be fixed with a bit of scotch tape
- Double Sided Tape - same can be said for this....also - if your dress isn't sitting right somewhere or your straps keep sliding - they can TOTALLY be fixed with a bit of double sided sticky tape
- Safety Pins
- White Chalk - dirty mark on a white dress? A little chalk over the top is a good temporary fix to dull the mark.
- Glue - replace crystals in hair pieces or anything else that might break.
- Small needle nose pliers - fix broken bracelets or chains.
- Stapler - I know what you're thinking - really?!?!? But if all else fails - in a pinch....many many things can be sorted with a staple!
So yeah - you're probably gonna need a decent sized bag to hoof it all around in - but we PROMISE you won't regret it!
And if you can think of ANYTHING we've missed off from your past experience - feel free to let us know!