As someone who organises events for a living – I can honestly say your can NEVER underestimate the importance of a good “Emergency Kit” – or as I like to call it – my “Oh Shit Kit”.
There’s a neverending amount of things that can go wrong with ANY event – especially a wedding. You can’t REALLY plan for every eventuality but you CAN at least try!
So we’ve put together our ultimate “Oh Sh!t Kit” shopping list for you. Now I KNOW this seems extensive – but having been a Bride/Bridesmaid/Maid of Honour on SEVERAL occasions now – each and every item in this list has come from past experience and chances are – you already have MOST of these items around your house already.
Are you ready? Okay….here we go!
- Make-up Touch Up Kit – if you’re having your make-up done by a professional make-up artist they’re ususally more than happy to provide this. If you’re using your own – just pop the essentials like concealer, lippy etc in.
- Eyelash Glue (if you’re wearing fake eyelashes) – and it doesn’t do any harm to pop a spare kit in JUST IN CASE one falls off and you can’t retrieve it.
- Contact Lenses – if you’re a wearer – bring spares. I once LOST a lens as a guest at a wedding – that was a disaster for me – can you imagine if it was YOUR day!
- Hair Ties & Bobby Pins
- Straws (sounds silly – but you don’t want to trash your lippy everytime you want a sip of water do you?)
- Bottled Water
- Eyedrops – it’s a LONG day and eyes can start to look a bit tired (or it may have been a late night and early morning) – having these on hand can keep your eyes bright and feeling fresh!
- Cotton Buds
- Baby Wipes
- Deodorant (roll on works best – less chance of leaving white marks all over the place)
- Toothpicks (who wants to have their picture taken with salad greens between their teeth)
- Breathmints (you’re going to be doing a whole lot of kissing – gotta have fresh breath)
- Band Aids
- Nail Polish (chipped nail in a ring shot……preferably not)
- Nail Clippers/Nail File (If it breaks – take it off and touch it up.)
- Bug Spray
- Rescue Rememdy
- Pain Killers
- Immodium (who wants THAT to happen on their big day!)
- Sanitary Towels/Tampons
- Hand Sanitiser
- Spare Earing Backs
- Spare Stockings (if anyone is wearing them)
- Flat Shoes
- Handheld fan – can rescue you in the back of a hot car in a big dress!
- Phone Number List (bridal party, important vendors etc) and Cell phone and charger. Ideally you won’t need this – but it’s good to have it JUST IN CASE!
Some of the following items might seem a LITTLE odd – but they’re good to have on hand….
- Flat Shoes
- Clean Undies (it’s a loooong day – and somtimes you just want to feel….well – fresh!)
- Sewing Kit – preferably pre threaded needles in all necessary colours (ie ivory/white/blush for bride, what ever colour the bridesmaids are wearing etc)
- Scotch Tape – there’s very few things in life that can’t be fixed with a bit of scotch tape
- Double Sided Tape – same can be said for this….also – if your dress isn’t sitting right somewhere or your straps keep sliding – they can TOTALLY be fixed with a bit of double sided sticky tape
- Safety Pins
- White Chalk – dirty mark on a white dress? A little chalk over the top is a good temporary fix to dull the mark.
- Glue – replace crystals in hair pieces or anything else that might break.
- Small needle nose pliers – fix broken bracelets or chains.
- Stapler – I know what you’re thinking – really?!?!? But if all else fails – in a pinch….many many things can be sorted with a staple!
So yeah – you’re probably gonna need a decent sized bag to hoof it all around in – but we PROMISE you won’t regret it!
And if you can think of ANYTHING we’ve missed off from your past experience – feel free to let us know!