When it comes to planning your wedding – one of the trickest and most important decisions you will make is the “WHERE”!
Deciding on the perfect spot to say “I Do” can be tricky – there are SO many questions to ask – and in this BEAUTIFUL province – so many incredible options to choose from! (For a good starting point – check out our Venue Directory.)
To make things a little easier – we’ve put together a list of questions that you can ask each venue – to help you make the decision and make sure that they meet YOUR needs.
- Do they have a dedicated Event/Wedding Planner/Manager?
- How often will you/can you meet with them?
- Will they be there on the day?
- How big is the room?
- Can you fit in everyone you want to invite – or is the room much bigger than you require? (A half-empty room can be just as bad as an overcrowded room and can have a serious impact on the overall atmosphere of your wedding.)
- Package costs or price per head?
- Whats included – what isn’t included? Bar/Waiting Staff, Linens, Food/Drinks etc?
- Is there a minimum spend?
- Are there options for both the ceremony and the reception? Will they be in the same space? If so – where can you and your guests go while the set-up is changed?
- If you are having an outdoor ceremony – is there a wet weather back-option available.
- Is there onsite accommodation?
- Is ANY accommodation included in the cost?
- Are there special rates for Bridal Party staying the night before/of the wedding.
- Are there special rates for Wedding Guests?
- Is there an on-site caterer? Is there a serviced bar? If not – do they have preferred vendors? Can they source/arrange this?
- Are there sample menus you can view? Do they have tasting options?
- What are the food/drink package options?
- Do they offer BYO options? If so – is there a corkage fee?
- Do they have a full compliment of tablewear/glasswear? If not – do they have a preferred supplier? Can they source/arrange this? Is there an additional cost?
- Does the room have natural lighting? Is the lighting sufficient? Do they they have additional lighting (is there an additional cost)? Do they have preferred supplier? Can they source/arrange this? (NOTE – lighting will be of specific interest to your photographer – you may want to discuss this with them also).
- Does the venue have a sound system installed? Is there a cost to use this? If not – do they have a preferred supplier? (This may not be an issue if you are hiring a band/DJ – you might want to discuss this with them.)
- Do they have a dance floor? If not – do they have a preferred supplier? Can they/source arrange this?
- Do they have adequate furnishing for your needs? Do you need to hire special chairs for an outdoor ceremony? Do they have a full compliment of linens – table cloths, napkins, chair covers etc? Is there an additional cost for using these? Do they have a preferred supplier for additional items? Can they source/arrange these?
- Is the venue wheelchair accessible?
- Is the road access suitable for a limo/bus (if you’re planning to use one)?
- Are there plenty of bathroom amenities etc. (including disabled toilets)?
- Is there sufficient parking?
- Will you have exclusive use of the venue?
- Will the restaurant/bar be open to the public? Willl there be other weddings on at the same time? If so – how do the staff plan to ensure your event remains private?
Set Up/Decoration/Clean Up
- Do they offer venue set up? Is there an additional cost for this? If not – what time can you access the venue to set up?
- Are there restrictions on what you can do? ie. attaching things to the walls/ceilings?
- Do they have any table decorations/candelabra/table no. holders etc? Do they have a cake stand/cake knife? If not – do they have a preferred supplier? Is there an additional cost? Can they source/arrange this?
- Do they clean up afterwards? Is there an additional for cost this? If not – what time must you have this done by?
- Do they allow children? Is there a restriction on the amount?
- Do they have any restrictions around using candles?
- Are you allowed to use confetti? Does this need to be natural/bio-degradable?
Our final suggestion when booking your venue – make sure you get a signed/written agreement of everything you have discussed – including costs, payments, additional items and any other rules/regulations you must comply with. This protects both you and the venue and will give you peace of mind.